Cheesy asparagus pieces baked between slices of homemade bread
1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 16-ounce loaf of Italian bread, sliced 3/4-inch thick (I use leftover slices of my homemade Italian bread)
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese (or more!)
3 cups milk
2 teaspoons dried minced onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1. In saucepan, cook asparagus with some water until tender but still firm. Drain well.
2. Combine butter and garlic salt. Toast enough slices of bread to cover the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Spread butter on one side of the bread slices. Place the toasted bread, buttered-side-down, in a greased 9" x 13" x 2" baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese.
3. Spread asparagus over cheese. Butter remaining slices of bread and lay on top, buttered-side-up.
4. In bowl, lightly beat eggs, milk, onion, salt, and dry mustard. Pour over bread.
5. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
6. Remove from refrigerator several hours before you plan to serve your meal. Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees for 75 minutes.
7. Sprinkle top with remaining cheese and return to the oven for 10 more minutes, or until center is set (clear juices).
This dish is surprisingly easy to make and I absolutely love the flavor!! Be sure to cook it long enough... you don't want it to be too wet inside. I like to use extra cheese. I also recommend using homemade bread if at all possible.
I was surprised by how well I liked this recipe when I tried it the first time. If you like asparagus at all, it's worth a try, definitely!! My rating: 10/10
|Average vote based on 2 reviews.|