A delicious green salad tossed with almonds, feta cheese, and homemade balsamic dressing, topped with pear wedges
2 pears, washed, cored, and cut into 12 wedges each
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup almonds (whole or sliced)
1 large head or 2 small-medium heads Romaine lettuce, washed and torn
1. Heat a skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add butter.
2. When butter is melted, lay pear wedges, cut edge down, in the skillet. (If you're using a smaller skillet, you may need to do the pears in 2 or 3 batches. Add additional butter if needed during frying.)
3. Fry until browned; turn each slice over and brown the other side as well. Remove skillet from heat. Remove slices from butter and set aside (can drain on paper towel if you wish).
4. Into the skillet (leave the browned butter remnants in the skillet), add olive oil, chopped onion, and balsamic vinegar. Whisk to combine.
5. Toss together the prepared Romaine lettuce, the almonds, and the feta cheese. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. (Depending on your tastes and the amount of lettuce used, you may not need quite all of the dressing.)
6. To serve, place tossed salad on plate. Lay pear wedges on top. Enjoy!
My friend Jamie K. made up this salad combo and I love it! I had never had a salad with pears on it before, and was pleasantly surprised that it was so delicious! :) While this salad isn't too labor-intensive, it adds a special touch to a nice meal! :) My rating: 10/10