Blackberry Coffee Cake
A quick coffee cake with blackberries folded in and a cinnamon crumb topping! This is the perfect use for ripe blackberries from the Pacific Northwest; enjoy with coffee or hot tea for an amazing late summer treat!
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup milk
2 heaping cups of blackberries (fresh or frozen)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup softened butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
2. In another bowl, beat eggs until frothy. (We use an electric mixer for this.) Mix in oil and milk.
3. Pour milk mixture into dry ingredients and stir. Gently fold in blackberries.
4. Pour batter into a greased 9-inch square baking dish or an 8x11-inch baking dish*.
5. Mix topping ingredients together (should be coarse crumbs/lumps of topping) and sprinkle over batter.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes, until cake tests done in the middle. Cover cake loosely with foil if the top starts browning too quickly (I usually place foil over the cake after about 45-50 minutes).
7. Serve hot, or cool in pan.
*I have doubled this recipe and put the batter into a 9x13-inch dish with a couple cups of extra batter baked in a loaf pan. Doubling the recipe makes a really full 9x13 so I find it works best to not put quite all of the batter in when I double it. :)
Original recipe is from Tanya L. Photos, instructions, and blackberry measurements are my own! :)
15 minutes (not including time spent picking blackberries!)
I love this blackberry coffee cake!! I'm so thankful to live where blackberries grow everywhere and are huge, juicy, and sweet! :)