Traditional chicken fried rice: bits of chicken and onion, soy sauce, scrambled eggs, and some seasonings, combined for a tasty and authentic main dish or side
2/3 cup long grain rice *
1 cup water
1 chicken breast (boneless, skinless) cut into thin strips
2 eggs, thoroughly beat
3 spring onions, chopped OR 1/3 onion, chopped
3 +1 tablespoons vegetable oil
Peas, snap peas, corn, broccoli, diced red pepper, etc (optional)
1. Put rice and water in a covered sauce pan on medium and bring to a boil. When it begins to boil stir, cover, and lower heat to low. Cook for 12 minutes and remove from heat and remove lid (this will leave the rice slightly underdone). *
2. Fry chicken in a small wok or frying pan with 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil until cooked (about 8-10 minutes). When fully cooked, add a splash of soy sauce; mix with chicken and cook for another 2 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate.
3. Return the frying pan/wok to the burner and adjust the temperature to just above medium. Add 3 Tablespoons oil into the pan and allow the pan to get hot. When hot add beaten eggs and continue to stir thoroughly until eggs are scrambled and cooked.
4. Drain excess water from rice and then add rice to eggs. Stir.
5. Add soy sauce to taste; we like 3 splashes.
6. Toss in onions, chicken, and hot cooked vegetables. Mix thoroughly and continue to stir for 1 to 2 minutes to prevent sticking.
7. Sprinkle salt and sugar and give one final mixing and remove from heat. Serve hot.
* You may use cold rice prepared ahead for this dish. Rice is best when undercooked for texture and to prevent sticking to the pan and/or the rice becoming clumpy and mushy.
Chicken fried rice, served with grilled salmon
This is a delicious and simple chicken fried rice. Personally I love having some corn added to mine (and maybe even peas, too!) but it's still good without it. We make this for a snack sometimes, or as a side with grilled chicken or grilled salmon. The leftover rice is easily reheated (I like mine hot!) and the leftovers never last long around here. :) My rating: 10/10
|Average vote based on 3 reviews.|