Classic Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
This traditional recipe has the perfect blend of tart rhubarb and luscious strawberries, topped with a beautiful lattice pie crust
3 1/2 cups rhubarb (stalks cut into 1/2 inch segments)
3 1/2 cups strawberries (stemmed; small berries halved, large berries quartered)
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup corn starch
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon sugar (for dusting)Â
1 pie crust (unbaked) plus top (cut for lattice**)
1. Prepare bottomÂ crust in 9" pie dish. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large bowl mix rhubarb and strawberries; pour lemon juice over fruit.
3. In a separate large bowl mix sugars, corn starch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
4. Add fruit to sugar mixture and stir until fruit is evently coated. The dry ingredients should become like a thick paste coating the fruit.
5. Pour mixture into pie crust.
6. Create a lattice** on the top of the pie crust. Sprinkle top of pie with 1 Tablespoon sugar.
7. Bake at 400 degree for 20 minutes; then reduce to 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes. *
* You may wish to cover the pie with foil for part of the baking time to prevent the crust from over browning.
**Lattice instructions for pie crust top:
1. Roll pie crust into a large square or circle.
2. Using a pizza cutter, cut strips of crust about 1/2 inch wide.
3. Weave strips starting in the middle of your pie. Lay one strip horizontally across (the middle of the)Â pie. Lay a second strip vertically across the (middle of the) pie. Lay a third strip horizontally, a fourth vertically, etc. Weave as needed.
4. Trim edges of crust with a butter knife, and then seal strips to bottom crust with fingers dipped in water. Garnish with leaves cut from additional pie crust if desired.
This is an excellent fruit pie recipe. I love it!! This pie rivals apple pie, and that's a lot for me to say since apple is probably my favorite fruit pie. :) The flavor is wonderful... fruity, slightly spicy, and bursting with strawberries and rhubarb flavor! Yum. The lattice crust on top is a nice "special effect" and makesÂ this delicious-tasting pie look attractive. My rating: 10/10.