A fluffy, fruity coffee cake with a sweet crusty topping
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup milk
1 cup blueberries, cranberries*, raspberries, chopped strawberries, or finely-chopped apples
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup softened butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
2. In another bowl, beat eggs until frothy. (We use an electric mixer for this.) Mix in oil and milk.
3. Pour milk mixture into dry ingredients and stir. Fold in fruit.
4. Pour batter into a greased 8- or 9-inch square baking pan**.
5. Mix topping ingredients together (should be coarse crumbs/lumps of topping) and sprinkle over batter.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes, until cake tests done in the middle. Cover cake loosely with foil if the top starts browning too quickly (I usually place foil over the cake after about 45-50 minutes).
7. Serve hot, or cool in pan. :)
*We put frozen cranberries in a food processor for a minute or so, to chop them coarsely.
**I have doubled this recipe and baked it in a 9x13x3-inch stainless steel pan. The cake took about 65 minutes when doubled like that.
Original recipe from Tanya L. Photos and instructions are my own. :)
This is an easy and delicious coffee cake!! The cake isn't too sweet... so you'll want to eat a large piece. ;) What a great recipe! My rating: 10/10
|Average vote based on 9 reviews.|