Crisp-tender grilled asparagus spears seasoned with garlic, soy sauce and pepper
1 pound fresh asparagus spears
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce*
1 teaspoon garlic salt
8-10 cranks of black pepper
1. In clean water, soak 4 long bamboo skewers for at least 20-30 minutes. If using shorter skewers, use 8 -- or however many it takes. Even sturdy toothpicks will work, thought not ideal.
2. Wash asparagus and trim the hard bottoms, leaving only the tender spears.
3. Whisk oil and soy sauce together. Put oil mixture into a ziplock bag with the asparagus spears and shake to coat. Or, if you have a small cookie sheet or tray of some sort, whisk the marinade in that and then roll the spears in the oil mixture to coat.
4. Put skewers through asparagus spears as pictured, making long flat "rafts" so the asparagus is easy to evenly turn and grill.
5. Pre-heat grill to medium. Sprinkle both sides of the asparagus flats with garlic salt and black pepper.
6. Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side. Grill temperatures and grilling times will vary, so just keep an eye on it and be sure to not over-cook! Asparagus should still be crisp-tender. Remove from skewers and enjoy! :)
*I've also substituted Bragg's Liquid Aminos and thought it was just as delicious. :)
15 minutes, plus soaking skewers
This is a delicious way to enjoy asparagus. The grill marks and beautiful green color make this feel like a luxurious treat!
We all love this recipe, which I came up with based on looking at the general theme of quite a few grilled asparagus recipes. Totally yummy!