Grilled New York Steakburgers
Juicy tenderized New York strip steak with horseradish sauce served on a grilled bun with lettuce, cheese, red onion, and tomato
2 large New York strip steaks*
liquid smoke flavoring
oil, preferably in a spray bottle
For the sauce:
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
4 large thin slices of red onion
4 large thin slices of tomato
4 thin slices of cheese (Swiss, Provolone, cheddar, or American)
4 large lettuce leaves, washed
4 large hamburger buns
Softened butter, for spreading
1. Trim fat and gristle from steaks and cut each steak in half, to form burger-sized pieces. Using a meat tenderizer (we have this meat tenderizer and it works great!), tenderize each steak several times (at least 4-5 times, and up to 10-12 times [with 16-blade tenderizer]).
2. Season steaks on both sides with liquid smoke (we put our liquid smoke in a spray bottle for convenience), salt, pepper, garlic, and oil. Preheat grill on HIGH for 10-15 minutes.
3. To prepare the sauce, mix the horseradish and mayonnaise in a small bowl and set aside. Get the buns ready to grill by very lightly buttering the open sides.
4. Grill buns for a couple minutes, buttered side down, until lightly toasted. Remove and set aside.
5. Grill steaks on MEDIUM for 8-9 minutes, flipping once halfway through grilling time, until desired doneness is reached.*** We like ours a little pink in the middle still, but even fully cooked steakburgers will be super tender and juicy.
6. Assemble sandwiches using the horseradish sauce, onion, cheese, lettuce, and tomato. Enjoy hot!
*I am sure other cuts of steak would work in this recipe as well. Obviously, the better your cut of meat, the better this steakburger will taste!
**Or use garlic powder or garlic salt (omit salt called for in ingredients list if using garlic salt).
***The FDA advises that tenderized meats should be fully cooked unless irradiated meat is used, in which case some pink in the middle is considered safe.
We tenderize our meat right before grilling, using a very clean tenderizer and cutting board, and feel safe consuming it with pink in the middle. If in doubt, fully cook and check with a meat thermometer! :)
Joshua created this recipe and it's so good!! This is his version of a gourmet sandwich... thick juicy steak and all the trimmings! The tenderized steak is melt-in-your-mouth delicious. One of these sandwiches is very filling.
I prefer to skip the horseradish sauce, as I like it even better with plain mayonnaise, but Joshua (and others who have tried it) really likes the horseradish sauce with this! :)
If you want to make a special dinner for the man in your life, this is a fabulous one. (Or, get the ingredients ready and let him do the grilling if that's something he likes to do!)
The New York strip steak isn't cheap, but found on sale it can be an affordable treat, and this is way better (in our opinion) than going out to dinner! :)