This simple homemade apple pie features a creamy filling and the flavors of vanilla, sour cream, nutmeg, and cinnamon
Apple Pie Filling Ingredients:
3/4 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons flour
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3-4 large Granny Smith apples (or other cooking apples), pared, cored, and thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
one 9-inch unbaked bottom pie crust
Crumb Topping Ingredients:
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup butter
1/4 to 1/2 cup quick oats
1. In small mixing bowl, mix ingredients for crumb topping, adding oats last, and adding just enough oats to make the mixture crumbly. Set bowl in refrigerator to chill. (Mixture will be clumpy until well-chilled.)
2. In large mixing bowl, combine 3/4 cup sugar, 3 Tablespoons flour, the egg, sour cream, vanilla, and nutmeg. Stir until well-mixed. Add apples and toss to coat.
3. Pour filling into unbaked pie shell. Bake at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes, until apples are somewhat softened.
4. Remove crumb topping mixture from refrigerator, and crumble with fork. Sprinkle over pie and return pie to oven for an additional 10 minutes or until apples test to doneness desired.
5. Chill pie before serving.
This is a wonderful variety of apple pie -- a real treat and yet still very easy to make. I still prefer regular apple pie, but I definitely enjoy BOTH. This pie is best when chilled, so be sure to make it with enough time for it to get nice and cold before you eat it! This is the best recipe for sour cream apple pie I have ever tried. My rating: 10/10
|Average vote based on 4 reviews.|