Kitchen Tip Tuesdays: Making muffins!
Originally published in September, 2007
Are any of you still using food from your gardens? (Or food gifted to you from a friend's garden!) :) We have lots of bell peppers, tomatoes, and squash still -- and the red raspberries are producing fruit again! (They bear twice a year.)
I made Raspberry Crumble Muffins yesterday... what a treat! I found that recipe last year when I was searching for a good use for fresh red raspberries (besides jam!). These muffins are one of my favorites... almost like a dessert, with the crumb topping!
The dozen I made didn't last long at all (less than 24 hours!). :)
And since this is about kitchen tips, here are a couple tips for making muffins, in case your recipe doesn't specify:
1. Use a wire whisk to combine the dry ingredients for your muffins. This helps remove lumps easily. Combine wet ingredients before adding to the dry, and stir just until moistened.
2. Grease only the bottoms of the muffin tins. This helps the muffins rise better, or so I've read. :)
3. Wait about 5 minutes before removing muffins from their pans, because hot muffins are very fragile! :)
To Participate in Kitchen Tip Tuesdays:
Post a kitchen tip in your blog. Link to this post, and then leave your link here, so we know where to find YOU! :) No giveaways or non-tip posts, please!
In order to keep the kitchen tips more easily accessible, posts not adhering to these guidelines will be removed. We need to be able to easily find/see what your kitchen/cooking tip is. :) Thanks for your participation! :)
Leave your tip links in a comment. I'll manually add them to this post!
1. Mandy (preparing for cooking when tired)
2. AmyG (baking tips)
3. Mrs. Brigham (Storing Fresh Herbs)
4. Save time prepping coffee (Heather)
5. Less waste when cooking with wine (Alison)
6. Keeping recipes handy (Donna)
7. Using greens that are past their prime (Shannon)
8. Grill safety tips
9. Tips for using lots of various CSA veggies (Christy)
10. How to "bake" without using the oven (Laura)
11. Making dry muffins mixes (Amanda)
12. Steaming veggies in the microwave
13. Chip dip tip (Kolfinna)
14. Preparing oatmeal for toddlers (Lenetta)
15. Frozen casserole on the grill (Lenetta)
16. Making breadcrumbs (Jessica)
17. Tuna melt tips, kitchen helper tips (Melinda)
18. Alternative to breadcrumbs
19. Half-feedings for Friendship Bread (Jane)
20. Using the last dregs of salsa (Alea)
21. Keeping pre-made foods for last-minute dinners (Tara)
22. Reading PLU labels on fruit (Jan)
23. Topping pizza with hot dogs
24. Leftover food storage (Melissa)
25. Cutting pretty brownies (Tracey)
26. Pitting cherries without a cherry pitter (Tiffany)
27. Re-packaging milk to freeze (and more) (Shari)