This tea cup and saucer were a gift for my 17th birthday. This week, I sipped tea from the same cup as I turned 27! I had a quiet day at home, thinking about the passing years and setting a few goals for the coming year. :)
If you frequent places like FaceBook, you've probably seen the "random facts" everyone's been posting about themselves. I have so enjoyed reading those types of posts and learning more about my friends and acquaintances! :)
So in honor of turning 27, I decided to share 27 random things about 27-year-old-me. (Who is so very different from herself 10 years ago!) :)
1. I love pizza, and it's easy to make, so we have it about once a week. I've also found that guests usually really enjoy being served pizza.
2. I love variety. For that reason, I like to grow my hair really long and then get 10+ inches cut off all at once. Then I grow it really long again! :) I love trying new things and changing things up a little, just to keep life interesting. :)
3. I really like to empty things and use things up and throw things away. When the shampoo bottle gets low, I can hardly wait to finish it and set out a new one! :) This is partly why I enjoy using free sample sizes of things. I get the fun of throwing away a package after just one or two uses! I know, this isn't very "green" of me. In general I actually try to be frugal though. :)
4. All three of our children have been born at home.
5. Along those same lines, I have been changing cloth diapers for almost 5 years. I don't have any of my original diapers though, since they were very cheaply made and wore out! :)
6. I read a blog written by a dentist. (AskDrEllie) She motivates me to be really consistent with dental hygiene! :) About a year ago, I was having tooth pain and went to a dentist (after 8 years of no dental visits at all!!). They wanted to do 5 fillings and a root canal. I spent the next few weeks reading anything and everything about dental care. I started using Dr. Ellie's recommendations for daily oral care (including using xylitol) and have had no pain or bleeding gums since. I'm optimistic about the future of my teeth and am actually excited about going to the dentist again soon. :)
7. I grew up without a tv or computer. When Joshua and I got married, he let me use his computer. Then one of my brothers very generously shared his computer with me for a few years. Last year I got my very own computer for the first time! :)
9. I have worn glasses since I was 10 or 11. I can't really remember now, actually. I'm near-sighted. I'm SO thankful for my glasses. I don't like to think about what life would be like without them!!
10. I love sunlight and open the shades every morning, before it's even light outside, even on days when the sun never does come out.
11. Despite the cloudy winters, I am loving living in western Washington. I just love this area. I can't really explain it, but I'm thankful, since this is where God led us! :)
12. I always think, "I should go to bed earlier." but I never really want to stop whatever I'm doing and actually go to bed. When my head finally hits the pillow, I calculate how many hours I have until the alarm goes off and wonder why in the world I stayed up so late. Bed feels so gooooood!! :)
13. For the past couple of years Joshua worked the midnight shift. That was a very challenging time for us in many ways, but I saw a lot of good come from it too. Now that Joshua works a more normal schedule, I do find it easier to get to bed at a reasonable time. Especially if I skip blogging... ;)
14. I love playing Boggle, but I beat Joshua at it a few too many times and now he convinces everyone that they don't really want to play with me!
15. Joshua and I have been married almost 7 years now. I had just turned 20 a month before our wedding. I love how the passing years has "seasoned" our love and relationship. :) We have a good marriage and with Yahweh's help, it keeps getting even better! :) I'm so thankful.
16. I like to keep things simple and have only the necessary things in life. However, I am a penny pincher and hold onto some things if I think they will save us money down the road. :)
17. I love garage sales.
18. I love browsing through the housewares and bath sections at stores, looking at all the beautiful towels, kitchen gadgets, decorations... but I rarely buy anything due to finances, space, and simply not really needing anything. :)
19. My parents were married 8 years before they were able to have children. Then they had 6! I'm the oldest. Joshua is also the oldest of 6 children.
20. My parents started homeschooling me in 5th grade. I was really excited and enjoyed it for the most part, even though it was more challenging than public school had been.
21. I am pretty good at math, but I try to avoid doing any more than necessary because it feels like it hurts my brain. My mom did Algebra, Geometry, and Chemistry with me in high school -- she likes math, which is a good thing since she's now going through Algebra for the 7th time in her life!!
22. When I walk through a cemetery, if I am close enough to read the dates on the stones I feel compelled to do the math and figure out how old the person was when they passed away. Since I don't really like doing the figuring, I try not to look at any numbers as I walk.
23. I am less talkative than Joshua is, but I can be quite silly, goofy, and talkative, especially late at night.
24. I love it that Joshua drives us everywhere. Riding is so much more relaxing! Plus, I get to play with the GPS while he drives. Ha, ha! :)
25. My alarm goes off at 4:55am on weekdays.
26. I almost always have laundry that is clean and waiting to be folded when Sabbath starts. So I hide the basket(s) out of sight and enjoy relaxing! :) Normally I have trouble relaxing when there is work waiting for me...
27. I have a dishwasher now for the first time in my life, and I love it! Especially when we have company and there's lots of dishes to put in it! :)
So, did you learn anything new? Did any of these make you say "Me too!!"?? :)