Kitchen Tip Tuesdays: 6 Tips for perfect oven-roasted veggies!
I love, love grilled vegetables! But, it's January! And even though we still use our grill in the winter for meats, I am definitely not going out in the cold to grill vegetables when I can roast them in the oven and warm up the house a little. :)
Here are some of the vegetables I have successfully roasted in the oven, with great results:
6 tips for perfect oven-roasted veggies:
1. Place veggies, seasonings, and oil in a sealed bowl or freezer Ziplock bag and shake to coat. This is easy and efficient! I usually use a big Tupperware bowl with a lid.
2. Spread veggies in a thin layer. Don't pile them up, and if possible leave a little space in-between some of the chunks, so they can truly roast and not steam themselves! This makes a surprisingly big difference! :) Use more than one baking sheet if you need to.
3. Bake veggies at a fairly high temperature: at least 375 degrees, and up to 450 degrees. Get to know your oven by trying different temperatures and watching closely as you experiment. Unless you use one of my recipes, where I've done my best to find the perfect temperature and baking time for you! ;)
4. Rotate your baking sheets! If you've followed tip #2, and spread your veggies thinly across the baking sheet, you may end up with two sheets to bake instead of just one. This is fine! Place one sheet on the top oven rack and one sheet on the bottom oven rack (not directly under the other). Just rotate sheets every 10-15 minutes, switching the trays on the racks. This allows for even baking.
5. If a few of the veggies are getting dark (like near the corners of the sheets), don't be afraid to remove those and continue baking the rest of the veggies. If I see a potato wedge starting to get a little too dark, I take it off earlier than the rest! :)
6. Taste, and add additional salt if needed. When I'm making roasted veggies without a recipe, I usually end up sprinkling salt across the veggies before serving. A little salt can transform "blah" broccoli into amazing deliciousness! That's got to be why Eliyahu requested broccoli as his favorite food for his birthday last week, right? :)
My favorite seasonings for roasted veggies:
Onion (can be roasted with the veggies)
Hot sauce (Tapatio or Cholula!)
One of our simple meals last week, which was 100% fingerfood! (Fish sticks, roasted root veggies, apple slices, and veggie sticks)
To Participate in Kitchen Tip Tuesdays:
Post a kitchen tip in your blog. Link to this post, and then leave your link here, so we know where to find YOU! :) No giveaways or non-tip posts, please!
In order to keep the kitchen tips more easily accessible, posts not adhering to these guidelines will be removed. We need to be able to easily find/see what your kitchen/cooking tip is. :) Thanks for your participation! :)
Leave your tip links in a comment. I'll manually add them to this post!
1. Soaking grain (Christine)
2. Water kefir (Kara)
3. 3 no-recipe ideas for cooking local foods in winter
4. Making perfect Chocolate Covered Strawberries (Cheryl B.)
5. Choosing and storing sweet potatoes (Kolfinna)
6. A simple way to freshen your fridge (Anna)
7. FABULOUS freezing tips + freezing in glass jars (Gwen)