A soft homemade flour tortilla with spinach
8 tortillas (10-12 inches in diameter) or more, smaller tortillas
9 ounces fresh spinach, chopped (about 4-5 cups of packed, chopped spinach)
1 tablespoon water
2+ cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt or garlic salt
dash of pepper or seasoned pepper
1/4 cup oil
1. In a large pan or skillet over medium to medium-low heat, cook spinach in water. Cover, stirring occasionally, until spinach is wilted and soft. This will probably take about 5 minutes after the pan is hot and the spinach has started to cook.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper, and oil. Stir until crumbly.
3. Add the (hot or warm) spinach mixture, including the water left in the pan from cooking. Knead or stir, adding additional flour as needed (may take a cup or more of extra flour) to make a smooth dough. Knead dough for about 5 minutes, which will mix the spinach in better, and give the dough an even consistency.
4. Divide dough into 8 parts (for 10 to 12-inch tortillas) or more (for smaller tortillas).
5. Pre-heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat. If using a cast iron or non-stick griddle or pan, you won't need oil (although you can use a little if you wish).
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll each dough portion into a thin circle (or other shape if desired).
7. Brown tortillas in pre-heated pan for about 5 minutes on each side, just until cooked. A few light brown spots should appear.
I usually start cooking the tortillas while I'm still rolling out the rest of the dough. Stack cooked tortillas on a plate or in a bowl with a clean towel around them, until all are cooked. Serve warm, filled with your favorite fillings! :)
5 minutes on each side
These homemade tortillas are a beautiful green color and have a great spinach flavor. They're hearty but soft (when served hot and fresh!) and taste wonderful. I liked them so much, I will never want to go back to store-bought spinach tortillas!! My rating: 10/10.