A cornmeal crust, topped with seasoned taco meat filling and cheese, baked and then topped with lettuce, sour cream, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, and black olives
1 1/4 cups cornmeal
1 1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup oil
1 four-ounce can green chilies, drained*
3/4 pound ground beef or turkey
1 medium onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup (8 ounces) diced tomatoes (may be canned)
1 cup (8 ounces) mild salsa (If using thin salsa, add 1/4 cup water, also)
1 six-ounce can tomato paste
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
8 ounces (2 cups) shredded mozzarella cheese
Sliced black olives
1. Brown ground meat with the onion and garlic. Drain and add remaining meat ingredients. (Not cheese) Heat until simmering. Simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Combine cornmeal, flour, and baking powder in a large bowl. Add milk, oil, and green chilies, stirring just enough to form a sticky lump of dough.
3. Grease a 16-inch pizza pan. Put the ball of dough in the center of the pan and start flattening it with your hands and spreading it towards the sides of the pan. When your hands get a little sticky, just wet them with a little water and continue pressing. Bake crust for 10 minutes at 400 degrees.
4. Pour meat mixture over hot crust. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top. Bake for an additional 10 minutes at 400 degrees.
5. When pizza is done, add additional topping ingredients as desired and cut into 16 slices.
This recipe was submitted to TammysRecipes.com by Joel Van Over. "Not really a taco, kind of a pizza" is how Joel describes this recipe, which is one of his favorite foods to make and eat!
*Joel notes, "I like to use the larger can." You can also substitute 1/3 cup chopped canned hot peppers, such as hungarian hot peppers or pepperoncini peppers
This is a delicious easy taco pizza recipe! I like how the crust has a hearty cornmeal texture and the diced chilies throughout. It really is like eating a taco... only different! :) Very good. In the photos, it is shown without the diced tomatoes or black olives on top, because we were out of them. It's still yummy! The leftovers (cold) are great! My rating: 10/10
|Average vote based on 3 reviews.|